Buttery & Crumbly Bites for #SpicyChat: Shortbread Cookies Kissed with Lavender!
This week’s #SpicyChat is extra special since Annie Haven of Green Soil is co-hosting and sponsoring the twitter Party held tonight at 8 PM EDT. Since the theme is ‘Heavenly Herbs’ I opted to create one of my all time favorite cookies to showcase the versatility of herbs.
A bit about Green Soil first. Green Soil is a natural Soil nutrient source for garden and indoor plants. Annie Haven makes growing Green easy for you naturally. Authentic Haven Brand Premium Soil Conditioner Teas are packaged in an environmentally friendly tea bag, which makes brewing and using them a breeze.
Green soil conditioner teas can be used on vegetables, herbs, flowers, lawns and anything else that grows! The manure tea can also be applied to compost piles to accelerate the composting process, giving you great compost in less time. Please visit the Authentic Haven Brand store to purchase their all-natural products.
Speaking of herbs, Lavender is an incredibly versatile herb for cooking. It enhances both the flavor and appearance of food. Lavender has a sweet, floral flavor, with lemon and citrus notes. I simply can’t get enough of the addictive and soothing aromas of lavender.
To be honest, I don’t have much of a sweet tooth, still I have a weakness for shortbread cookies. Perfectly buttery, crumbly, and a little bit salty, kissed with a hint of lavender; they are little bites of heaven to me.
There are no secret ingredients or complex formula involved in making a shortbread cookie. Yet is flawlessly yields spectacular results that will keep you salivating with each bite. These lavender cookies are finished with a sprinkling of fleur de sel which adds the right amount of sugar and spice to the mix.
Lavender & Fleur de Sel Shortbread Cookies
31/2 cups all-purpose flour
11/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 cup sugar
3 teaspoons chopped dried lavender blossoms
3 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Fleur de sel
- Combine the flour and fine sea salt together in a bowl.
- Mix the sugar and lavender in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Add the butter and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add the flour mixture and mix until the dough starts to come together. Roll the dough on a floured board and into a flat disk. Wrap in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thick and cut into desired shapes 2 inches in size. Sprinkle fleur de sel on the cookies and place the baking sheet in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Bake the cookies in a 350°F pre heated oven for 10 – 12 minutes, until the edges are golden brown. Cool completely before serving.
Shortbread cookies are a favorite at holidays. However I don’t see why we can’t bake them throughout the year especially when you need a pick me up. Not to mention that the use of lavender is only limited by your imagination. So the next time you need a bit of pampering, try these delightful and easy to prepare lavender shortbread cookies. One bite will surely fade away your worries, at least for a day!!
Join Us Every Thursday at 8 PM EDT for #SpicyChat Twitter Chat to bring some spice in your lives! We Love to share ALL recipes. Simply add the #Spicychat hashtag to your link, we will RT and also add your recipes to our Pinterest Board. For more spicy inspirations, join our #SpicyChat FB Page.