Candied Bacon – A #SpicyChat Brunch Staple: Be Warned – Highly Addictive!!
Bacon, bacon, bacon – need I say more? This Candied Bacon kissed with a touch of brown sugar and cayenne pepper is truly #Spicychat drool worthy. Another fine example of how spices elevate your dishes to another level.
Be Warned – highly addictive – one stack is never enough.
A staple MUST at my brunch table. I personally am not a huge fan of bacon, that said candied bacon cuts down the salt making it appealing to my palate. The other reason I enjoy this dish is that baking removes the excessive fat of bacon. Leaving it crispy and less greasy.
- 12 slices bacon, thick cut only. 1/4 inch or more
- Finely ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 Tbs red chili powder (spicy)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Put bacon slices in a bowl, season them with pepper and toss with the combined red chili powder & brown sugar.
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment or foil and arrange the bacon in a single layer on top. Sprinkle any sugar left in the bowl over the bacon. Top with another layer of parchment or foil and top it, squarely, with another baking sheet. The baking sheet will flatten the bacon as it cooks.
- Place the tray in the center of the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the top foil, turn the bacon and cook for 10 minutes.Check it again. If cooked, remove from oven.
- Keep in mind that when you remove the tray and transfer the bacon to a serving platter or individual plates, the bacon will “crisp” up a little more.
And if you are in a mood to indulge yourself, try these divine bacon strips in your summer chilled cocktails or as toppings for ice-cream and cupcakes too.
Join Us Every Thursday at 8 PM EDT for #SpicyChat Twitter Chat to bring some spice in your lives! We Love to share ALL recipes. Simply add the #SpicyChat hashtag to your link and we will add it to our Pinterest Board.