Today marks the first day of back to school…oh my! where did the summer go?
I know, I know, I have had house guests since the last week of may. My home literally transports into a hotel with international guests ranging from my family to friends, keeping me on my toes 24/7 but I LOVE it…Cause I am surrounded with love!! At present dearest mommy is visiting. Some of you are aware that my mom is a vegetarian. I have managed to tweak most cuisines to cater to my mom’s palate. One meal though I always have a hard time with is breakfast/brunch. Especially since Indian breakfast dishes are savory not sweet. There aren’t many choices left if you eliminate even egg..
In a constant pursuit of creating new flavors to indulge my mom, this time I sought inspiration from the sweet and bright fruit of late summer – peach. There isn’t much that beats a perfectly ripe, juicy peach on a summer day. Since I am the #spicychat goddess, so I couldn’t resist roasting the peaches with few of my favorite spices. Roasting the peaches not only intensifies the sweetness of the fruit, it allows me to add some savory flavors that compliment the entire dish.
Sweet Corn Pancakes with Roasted Peaches & Spice
Sweet corn pancakes, savory and delicate, is a perfect summer brunch, especially when it get’s a double-dose of juicy peaches roasted with brown sugar and spices. For once I can assure you, you won’t need maple syrup or sugar – these are simply sublime on their own.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 16. oz packet of frozen sweet corn, defrosted
- 1 1/2 cups whole or 2% milk
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 5 peaches, pitted and cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1/4 dark brown sugar
- 3 tbs sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 whole star anise
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Toss the peaches gently with brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon, star anise, cardamom powder, and vanilla extract. Bake in a 300 degree oven, covered, for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for about 30 minutes longer, stirring once, until the peaches are bubbling.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Puree the corn kernels, milk, butter, and eggs until smooth. Whisk the corn purée into the dry ingredients.
- On medium heat, pour 1/4 cup of batter on non-stick pan or griddle and cook until small bubbles appear on the surface. Flip the pancakes and cook until golden brown. Repeat till the batter is finished.
- Stack 3-4 pancakes on each plate, top with 4-6 slices of peaches and juices of the peaches. Serve immediately.
And the conclusion: My mom LOVED it…Sweet and savory, with a hint of spice – it is Umami in each bite!!
What is your favorite way of cooking with peaches? I would love to hear from you…..Post a comment below or shoot me an email at email@example.com
Until next time, have a delicious week!!
Recipe adapted from Food & Wine Magazine.