Chicken with Sweet & Spicy Orange Sauce: What’s There Not to Love?
Here is a perfect illustration of how sweet and savory flavors come together to create a fabulous #spicychat drool worthy dish. One doesn’t necessarily require heat (chilies) to create layers of flavor. Considering that you have a satisfying meal on the dinner table in under 30 minutes, you have a weeknight winner!
This recipe is ideal for those evenings where you are rushed for time. It literally comes together in less than 30 minutes and you have a wonderfully aromatic and delicious savory sauce which will tempt you to lick your bowl clean, literally. It is one of my husband’s favorite chicken recipes. And since I was going to be away at a champagne tasting, I made this ahead of time so my presence won’t be missed…(wink, wink).
Chicken with Savory Orange Sauce
The recipe calls for skinless chicken thighs. Yes, I do believe that dark meat has more flavor especially with the bone-in varieties. There is nothing fancy about this recipe nor does it ask for exotic spices. Brown the chicken, and proceed with the best part of this dish, the savory orange sauce. I too couldn’t believe how a few classic ingredients create such an amazing and luscious sauce.
- 8 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 3/4 Cup Sugar Free Orange Marmalade
- 3 Teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 Teaspoons Cornstarch
- 1 Sweet Red Pepper, Cored, Seeded And Diced
- 4 Cloves Garlic, Peeled & Minced
- 3 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Basil
- Season chicken with 1 tsp kosher salt and 2 tsp. freshly ground pepper. Brown the chicken in a heavy-set pan on both sides. Remove from pan.
- In the same pan, sauté garlic and pepper for a few minutes. Add the broth, marmalade, and mustard and bring to a boil. Cook on high heat till the sauce is reduced in 1/3 the volume. Reduce the heat to simmer and add the browned chicken back to the pan. Cook covered for approximately 20 minutes until the thighs are cooked through.
- Mix the vinegar and cornstarch together and add to the pan and cook until the sauce is thickened to your liking. Check seasonings for salt and pepper. Stir in the chopped basil.
- To serve, place the chicken on a platter, spoon the sauce on top and garnish with additional fresh basil. Serve hot with pasta.
Recipe adapted from Italian Food Forever.
Do you have recipes under your wing that are weeknight favorites? Quick and easy recipes that are spoon licking? I would love to hear from you. Until next time, buon appetito!
Join Us Every Thursday at 8 PM EDT for #SpicyChat Twitter
Chat to bring some spice in your lives! We Love to share ALL recipes. Simply add the #Spicychat
hashtag to your link, we will RT and also add your recipes to our Pinterest
Board. For more spicy inspirations, join our #SpicyChat