Chocolate Drizzled Coconut & Orange Macaroons: My New Favorite Cookie!
Read at your peril! Reading this post may induce uncontrollable drooling & desire to bake!!
With Christmas around the corner, everyone is dashing like mad to complete their holiday errands. Some of us who have children, add another essential task to our long list of errands - baking cookies for our families. My kids eat everything – makes my job the easiest in the world. That said, they also have developed their own standards. “No left overs, No frozen or canned items, and definitely NO to single cuisine, need variety..
To appease my gourmand babies and my time restraints, I tried these Chocolate Drizzled Coconut and Orange Macaroons. One Word – SUBLIME! I still can’t comprehend how I made such delicious cookies without my mixer, in a manner of minutes, and without the addition of any flour….which means all gluten-free allergies can gorge on these to our hearts content.
Without further adeiu, I present to you these highly addictive coconut macaroons. Enjoy!
Coconut & Orange Macaroons
I live in Florida, so sweet and juicy oranges are available all year round. The combination of orange, coconut, and chocolate is a match made in heaven. I have made the flourless and nut-less recipe. Feel free to add some ground almonds or pecans for the extra crunch. Either ways, they are moist, crunchy, and delicious!
The addition of fresh orange zest makes the cookie vibrant and the spice adds the extra zing and aroma.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange peel
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp orange extract
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder or cinnamon powder (optional)
- 24 ounces sweetened flaked coconut
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 1/2 cup finely chopped almonds or pecans
- Preheat to 325°F. Line 3 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment.
- Beat butter in large bowl until smooth, you can use your hands or a hand held mixer. Add sugar and salt; beat until blended. Stir in orange peel,orange extract, and spice powder. Beat in eggs 1 at a time until incorporated. Stir in coconut until moist. (Add nuts here if you so desire)
- Drop batter onto baking sheets by 1 heaping tablespoonfuls, spacing 2 inches apart.
- Bake macaroons, 1 sheet at a time, on the center rack until golden on bottom and browned in spots, 18 – 22 minutes. Cool completely on sheets.
- Melt chocolate in a microwave for 1 minutes. Stir to dissolve the chocolate. Using a fork, drizzle desired amount of chocolate over the macaroons. Let cool for at least 30 minutes, till the chocolate is set. Enjoy!
I would love to hear about some of your favorite cookies or new recipes you are trying this holiday. Until next time…Have a blessed holiday filled with love and deliciousness!
Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit Magazine.