From My Holiday Table to Yours: #SpicyChat Cranberry Chutney!
No Holiday Table is complete without the infamous Cranberry Sauce. Most people lean towards buying the gelatinous can stacking in huge piles all over the grocery aisles. Making cranberry sauce from scratch isn’t rocket science. Open a bag of cranberries, add some water, sugar, and some spices, voilà – you have a an incredibly delicious sweet and savory sauce/chutney that has zing, texture, and is bursting with flavors that perfectly balance your Thanksgiving Table. Today #SpicyChat is dressing up the ubiquitous Blob of Cranberry Sauce designed especially for my friends and family who relish complex and deep flavors.
For my #spicychat version, spices like cinnamon and star anise, as well as orange zest, and finished with a bit of spiced rum.
Tart yet sweet, gorgeous jewel like hue makes cranberries an integral symbol of the holiday season. This tangy chutney takes fresh cranberries to another level with spices, raisins, and spiced rum. Don’t limit yourself to eating it only with your Thanksgiving Turkey, enjoy it slathered on cornbread or scones too for breakfast.
- 1 pkt (12 oz) cranberries, rinsed
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup golden raisins or mixture of dark and golden
- 1/3 cup finely chopped candied ginger
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise pod
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 cup spiced rum
- 1/4 tsp orange zest
- Bring the cranberries and all ingredients except the rum and 1/4 cup water to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered stirring often until all the cranberries burst and the juices are thick and syrupy.
- Remove from heat and stir in the rum. Cool completely. (Recipe adapted from Leite’s Culinaria).
It’s cranberry season!! How do you enjoy cranberries, Cocktails or Chutneys or Crumbles? I would love to hear from you. Until next time, enjoy your family and loved ones. It is the month of thankfulness. Take time to tell a loved one what they mean to you. Next week, stay tuned for another holiday treat.
Join Us Every Thursday at 8 PM EDT for #SpicyChat Twitter Chat to bring some spice in your lives! We Love to share ALL recipes. Simply add the #Spicychat hashtag to your link, we will RT and also add your recipes to our Pinterest Board. For more spicy inspirations, join our #SpicyChat FB Page.