Nothing screams summer to me than fresh, ruby-red, juicy watermelon. Oh how I adore them! I could eat them all summer and some. Now I am content with stuffing myself with fresh-cut watermelon sprinkled with black salt. But watermelon is one of those great summer fruits that works perfectly in both sweet and savory dishes.
Food that is at its freshest is also most flavorful. With summer at our heels, fruits are in abundance. Berries, Peaches, Melons, Mangoes etc…you name it and all farmer’s markets are brimming with sweet and juicy fruits. Whether you are relaxing by the pool this summer, mingling out-door in the heat, or throwing the biggest baddest firework bash in the neighborhood, this spicy, fruity, and refreshing beverage/dessert will surely take the edge off summer’s heat.
I firmly believe quality ingredients yield exceptional results. Quoting Ms. Child’s: You don’t have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces – just good food from fresh ingredients.”
Mille grazie (thousand thanks) to talented Bokeh Studio for capturing the essence of these mouth-watering photographs.
Watermelon-Tequila Margarita Popsicles
Who doesn’t enjoy popsicles? Reminiscent of our carefree days of hot summers as kids, licking those delicious mango and orange pops. A necessity in those hot times; today a refreshing pleasure. Make a watermelon limeade and mix it with tequila, black pepper, and freeze it. And if you are feeling a bit frisky, fresh jalapeno will add some complexity to the sweetness of the watermelon. Feel free to omit the tequila for 21 and under.
- 1 Blender full of watermelon cubes, seeds removed
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup agave syrup, or more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Bunch of mint leaves
- 1 Jalapeno pepper, sliced
- 1.5 cups tequila of choice (blanco, reposado, or anejo)
- Whiz the chilled watermelon, lime juice, and agave syrup in a blender and strain for a smoother cocktail. Add freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- In a large pitcher, muddle mint leaves and jalapeño.
- Stir in the blended watermelon limeade and tequila. Pour the mixture into popsicle molds.
- Freeze for about 2 hours, insert popsicle sticks and finish freezing popsicles overnight.
Muddle, shake, or stir, regardless of which #spicychat concoction you fancy, make sure to stay super hydrated this summer. Summer is full of fresh herbs and fruits. The beauty of these cocktails are that you can use any herb from your garden and any fresh fruit to spice things up.
Our foodie friends at Well-Being Secrets consider watermelon as one of the most underappreciated superfoods. Check out their Science-Backed Health Benefits of Watermelon HERE.
Until next time, have a delicious day!!