I consider myself a tad sweet and a lot spicy. Keeping that in mind I wanted to create something unique and different for our Foodie SaucySuperBowl/SundaySupper Virtual Meet. Hence I am made dessert with Chai Sweet Chili Sauce, provided by Intensity Academy . Michele Northrup, aka @saucyqueen, who believes in “Creating flavors to make the world a saucier place to live…one bottle at a time.”
Chocolate-Chai Sweet Chili Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache (sweet & spicy in each bite)
I also created a savory version as an appetizer inspired by what else, football and wings: Chai Sweet Chili Cupcakes with Blue Cream Frosting.
Chai Sweet Chili-Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 1/2 sticks butter, unsalted at room temperature
- 3 oz semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole milk
- 12 tsp Chai Sweet Chili Sauce by Intensity Academy .
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 stick of butter, unsalted at room temperature
- 12 oz semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the semi-sweet chocolate in the microwave in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa in a bowl; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter until fluffy.
- Add sugar and beat for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add the melted semi-sweet chocolate.
- Add egg and egg yolks one at a time, beating until well combined.
- Add milk and vanilla stir to combine.
- On low-speed, add flour mixture and milk/vanilla mixture alternatively, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Add the chai sweet chili sauce.
- Scoop batter into cupcake cups and bake cupcakes for about 20 minutes.
- For the ganache, put chocolate in a mixing bowl.
- Heat cream until simmering and add to the chocolate. Sit for a few minutes and then stir to combine cream and chocolate.
- Add the butter and stir to combine. Let it cool.
- With the paddle attachment whip the cooled chocolate for few minutes till it lightens in color.
- Pipe onto your cooled cupcakes.
- Enjoy a bit of sweet and spicy in each bite.
Chai Sweet Chili Cupcakes with Blue Cheese Frosting
(Savory Buffalo Chicken Twist)
- 1/2 cup Chai Sweet Chili Sauce by Intensity Academy
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Heat hot sauce and butter until butter is melted.
- Remove from heat and mix in the sugar and salt.
- whisk the sour cream and egg. Add to the hot sauce mixture.
- Mix together the flour and baking soda in a medium bowl.
- Fold the flour mixture into the hot sauce mixture.
- Fill cupcake liners and bake for 17-20 minutes till toothpick comes clean.
- Mix blue cheese on high-speed until smooth.
- Add the unsalted butter and mix on high-speed until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes).
- Slowly mix in the powdered sugar until fully combined.
- Pipe or spread onto cooled cupcakes.