Simple, Satisfying, Stimulating: Chorizo, Red Potatoes, & Jalapeno Tacos!
My dear friend Ms. Evans the other day asked me an evocative question – “How do you determine what to cook on a daily basis since you have such a vast inventory of recipes?” The instant response, as simple as the recipe presented today – “I take inspiration from life. To elaborate: A memory, an irresistible aroma, seasonal produce that catches my eye in the grocery store, or just a nagging craving for that inexplicable deliciousness. I am notorious for creating an entire 6 course meal from a mere thought….Dangerous no??
Cooking is second nature to my being, so I could easily continue ranting over Ms. Evan’s basic question. Since today’s topic is about Simple, Satisfying, & Stimulating – without further ado, I share with you one of my “To Go” dish that embodies Mexican cuisine without all the fuss of slaving in the kitchen.
Weekday eating in my kitchen comprises of deliciously seasoned, simple ingredients, quickly prepared considering the limited amount of time. Yes, Negro Mole is my all-time favorite Mexican dish but it requires tremendous amount of patience, time, and ingredients. For satiated my uncontrollable urge for Mexican this no fuss, no muss, ridiculously simple recipe stirs my inner Mexican soul and satisfies the longing for the bold and enticing flavors reminiscent of Mexican cuisine.
Chorizo, Red Skinned Potatoes, and Jalapeno Tacos – it is crunchy, spicy, and creamy. What more could you want from a taco?
Chorizo & Potato Tacos
Charred tortillas double stacked in order to provide both structural support; filling with savory chorizo, creamy potatoes, sweet caramelized onions, and kick of jalapenos; squeeze of fresh lime and cilantro – I present to you a meal of unrivaled deliciousness!
- 1lb fresh chorizo (latin grocery stores)
- 1 lb petite red potatoes or fingerling potatoes (halved and sliced thin)
- 2 – 4 jalapenos, sliced thin
- 2 large yellow or red onions, sliced
- Fresh lime juice to garnish
- Fresh crema to garnish (optional)
- Corn or flour tortillas
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dash of cinnamon powder
- Remove the casings from the chorizo and saute in a heavy set pan until browned. I typically buy fresh chorizo from Latin grocery stores only. Though occasionally I have spotted them in the regular grocery store too. Once browned, remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute onions and jalapenos until slightly softened and lightly browned. Add the potatoes, salt, and pepper. Mix together well. Top with the chorizo and simmer covered for 15 minutes approximately or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Warm two tortillas on a non stick pan, fill with chorizo-potato mixture, sprinkle lime and serve immediately.
Twists: Substitute with what ever kind of fresh sausage you fancy. If you are not a fan of jalapenos, throw in poblano or red peppers. I have even served these tacos for breakfast. Throw in a few eggs over the chorizo and cook as directed. Remember, recipes are merely a guideline for you to create your own master piece. Sky is the limit as far as flavors are concerned…..
Do you enjoy Mexican Cuisine? What are some of Your Favorite Mexican Dishes….Do tell in the Comments section! Until next time, have a delicious day!!!!