Simply Irresistible: Lemon Kissed Pull Apart Loaf!
Have I mentioned lately how much I relish Lemon? I can never tire of the bright and tangy flavor of lemon. Not to mention it’s versatility, be it a pie, seafood, salad, or a cocktail.
I stumbled across this recipe on Leite’s Culinaria and since then this lemon kissed pull apart loaf has become a staple on my brunch table. And since my mom is visiting, but naturally I had to whip a batch of this seductive bread last weekend.
Be warned, it is highly addictive so so don’t expect any leftovers.
Lemon Kissed Pull Apart Loaf
One could call it cake but I prefer to call it bread especially since it hardly has any butter which I consider a prime ingredient for any cake. This bread is moist, tart, with the right amount of sweet and creamy icing to hold the layers together.
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (sugar
- 1 envelope instant yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 2 ounces unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 lemons grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
Cream Cheese Icing
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Stir 2 cups of flour, sugar, yeast, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Heat the butter and milk over low heat till butter is melted. Remove from heat and add water. Add vanilla extract after 1 minute.
- With the paddle attachment mix the wet ingredients to the flour on slow speed till dough comes together.
- Add eggs one by one till incorporated.
- Add rest of the flour and resume mixing on medium-low speed till the dough is smooth and slightly sticky.
- Place the dough in a large bowl and gently knead more flour till the dough is not sticky. cover the bowl and let it rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl, mix the sugar and zests together.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly spray a 9-5 inch loaf pan.
- Deflate the dough and roll it into a 20X12 inch rectangle. Using a pizza cutter slice the dough into 5 equal strips. Brush the layers with melted butter.
- Sprinkle 11/2 tbs of lemon filling on 1 rectangle. Top it with another slice of dough and sprinkle lemon filling. Repeat with all the layers ending with the 5th slice.
- Gently slice the stack crosswise into 6 equal strips. Fit these layered strips width-wise into the pan, cut side up and side by side. Loosely cover and rest for 1 hour.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until top is golden brown. Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes.
- Whip cream cheese, confectioners sugar, milk, and lemon juice until creamy and smooth.
- Gently invert the cake onto a plate and drizzle the top with the icing.
- Serve the cake room temperature or warm.
Are you fond of lemon? What is your favorite way to incorporate lemon in your dishes? I would love to hear from you…until next time, have a delicious week!!