Recently I got asked what’s my inspiration for day to day cooking? It is as simple as a craving, an aroma, a spice, a seasonal ingredient that caught my eye in the grocery store, or simply cause I am chasing nostalgic memories….One tiny spark can lead to a multi-course meal in my kitchen.
That said, my senses were craving the warmth and comfort of the luscious and irresistible sweet/spicy/savory flavors of baked beans. So tonight’s dinner – 12 hrs baked beans, herb de province poached eggs, crusty ciabatta, and brussel sprouts. Multi-tasking since the oven was already pre-heated, why not make the entire meal in the oven?
12 Hrs Roasted Baked Beans
Flavored with mustard, molasses, star anise, bacon, and chili, this luscious bean dish is so simple to prepare. All it requires is some unattended time in the oven, and voila, the rich results are so worth it!!
For the vegetarian version, simply omit the bacon – these slowly cooked beans are so luscious and flavorful, that you won’t miss the bacon.
- 1.5 lbs dried cannelloni beans
- 6 slices thick cut bacon
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 big onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbs mustard powder
- 2 star anise pods
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika or 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- Soak the beans in plenty of water overnight. Rinse the water and add beans to a pressure cooker. Cover the beans with water until they are fully submerged. Pressure cook them and after the 1st whistle remove from gas. Once the pressure is dissipated, cool the beans for at least a couple of hours.
- Preheat the oven to 225 degrees F. In a large baking pan stir the tomato paste, bacon, onion, molasses, brown sugar, salt, pepper, mustard powder, paprika, and star anise. Gently stir in the beans with their water. Add more water to cover the beans completely if there isn’t enough cooking liquid. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 12 hours without peeking.
- Check for salt and pepper, break the bacon into bite sized pieces and add back into the beans. Serve warm with bread and eggs, cooked to your choice.
Can you believe how simple that was? Sometimes its the simple things in life that bring immense pleasure.
What are you waiting for??? You MUST try this recipe and let me know how much you enjoyed them in the comments section. Until next time, have a delicious day!!