Mango is incontestably the uncrowned King of all fruits in India. As mango is only available in the summer in India, it makes us Indian’s crave it even more. There are a few varieties across the country but for Delhites, Langda and Chausa have captured their hearts. In season, Indians devour mangoes by the cases, making them a staple in their daily diet. And the most common way to savor them is by eating them raw and plain. Mangoes is such a prized delicacy that typically Indians in general don’t like to adulterate it by adding extra flavors. Keeping that in mind, I wanted to create a dish showcasing Mango as the star of the dish, where it doesn’t loose its delectable taste.
I had done an earlier post ‘Some Like it Sweet, We Love it Spicy‘ where I showcased Tequila Infused Cocktails for the first time. Since the Pineapple-Jalapeno cocktail has been a constant hit at my parties, I tried it with Mangoes. Staying true to its name, sweet mango is the base for this cocktail which spiked with Habanero tantalized once’s palate and takes the supreme mango to new and cool heights.
Mango-Habenero Tequila Cocktail
Be warned – this one burns but it is a ‘good’ kind of burn. Grilling the mango intensified the natural sweetness of the mango. Note, I haven’t added any sugar or simple syrup to this drink. Just a hint of agave syrup and the sweetness of mango does rest of the work.
- 2 ripe mangoes, peeled whole
- 1 Habanero pepper, sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh mint or basil leaves
- 1 ½ cups white tequila (substitute with your fave.)
- ¾ cup fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup agave syrup
- Splash of club soda or any other citrus juice
- Grill the whole mangoes until charred on both sides, let cool. Slice the mango into big chunks removing the seed.
- Place the grilled mangoes, Habanero, mint in a pitcher and crush until broken down.
- Stir in tequila, lime juice, and agave. Fill with ice.
- Stir well and pour into glasses filled with ice and splash of club soda or citrus juice.
This mango cocktail tantalizes your palate upfront but goes down ultra smoothly. It is highly addictive! Next time you are in a mood for something unique, try some infused cocktails and let me know which suited your palate. I for one have found my new obsession – Infused Drinks. Keep on the look out for my next infusion adventure.
Recipes adapted from F&W and Bon Appetit Magazines.